Welcome
Welcome to sheepserver

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Update on the update?

Discuss anything minecraft related here!
Forum rules
This forum section is only for minecraft related topics! Go to off-topic if you have something else to discuss.

Update on the update?

Postby ClutchWarrior » 08 Feb 2017, 23:03

I been stopping by the server on and off and its been really empty. Im assuming because we are still on 1.9. Is there any update?
~-~-~ClutchedWarrior~-~-~
ClutchWarrior
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 124 time
Highscores: 1

Re: Update on the update?

Postby badjax3 » 17 May 2017, 13:43

Bumpity bump

I saw a couple of posts from last year about outdated plugins, is 1.10. still awaiting on these?

It's been a few years but I was thinking about sneaking back to lurk again as this was always the best & friendliest vanilla server going :)
Any ideas if 1.10. is going to be soon, sometime/maybe, and will it be a map reset or expand?

Cheers! badja
badjax3
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 53 time

Postby OrionAurora2 » 18 May 2017, 21:48

Perhaps we are due for an update on the server? I wouldn't mind seeing some shake up here.
OrionAurora2
Forum mod, Server Admin & Event Organiser

Have thanks: 226 time
STEAM ID: OrionAurora

Postby kill_dolores » 07 Jun 2017, 18:57

I've definitely been missing y'all a lot lately. A new map sounds like an amazing idea, can we get that going? Anyone heard from spetz lately?
kill_dolores
Server Moderator
Server Moderator

Have thanks: 53 time
Highscores: 38
STEAM ID: kill_dolores

Postby OrionAurora2 » 11 Jun 2017, 22:46

Watching Microsoft E3 and saw a llama for the MC demo. When was that thing. So yeah, perhaps we are due for an update.
OrionAurora2

Have thanks: 226 time
STEAM ID: OrionAurora

Postby Zkyo » 15 Jun 2017, 08:07

Yep, there's a ton of content we're missing out on. Short version:

1.10: Auto-jump, structure blocks for mapping, more blocks (bone, netherwart, red nether brick, magma), polar bears, strays (skelleton variant), husks (zombie variant)

1.11: Woodland mansion w/ 2 hostile villagers (vindicator, evoker), llamas (can ride & cavavan), cursed enchantments, observers (like a BUD switch), shulker boxes (portable chests)

1.12: Concrete powder, concrete, terracotta, wool colors changed, colored beds, parrots, another hostile villager (illusioner), saved hotbars in creative, narrator, advancements replacing achievements, recipe book w/ semiauto-crafting, new sounds
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 160 time
STEAM ID: Zkyo
Players Title: Zee-kee-o

Postby Danyman V.2 » 29 Jun 2017, 20:42

i agree Kill, its been a while since ive been on, mainly because of the fact that the server is not updated and because no one plays anymore. tbh an update is VERY badly needed.
Danyman V.2

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby Simmonslikespie » 03 Jul 2017, 22:19

If the server ends up updating it'd be pretty sick to play with you guys again.
We just need Spetz though.
Getting some word out to attract new players would be cool too.
All the new stuff Zkyo mentioned makes me very excited to try out this new version.
Life is this crazy mystical thing. And sometimes you just go out like a buster. - Mang0
Simmonslikespie
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 6 time
STEAM ID: Simmons/michaelzeman

Postby Zkyo » 04 Jul 2017, 17:56

I just remembered that I have spetz friended on steam, he was last on a couple days ago. I just sent him a message asking about updating the server, so maybe we can get that going. If not, I could go rent a server until he's available.

PS: If anyone wants to meet up with me ingame, I log on every couple days around 1-4 am UCT -5. Several months ago that was a somewhat active time, but I haven't seen anyone in months.
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby spetznack » 07 Jul 2017, 00:01

Hi!

I'm sorry that I haven't been around for a very long time. I got dis encouraged every time I thought of doing the tedious hard work of finding plugin replacements of our dead bukkit-plugins. It got a bit better when I realized that the new sponge may fit out needs, but it still required a lot of research and trying different stuff to even see if it will work. I have simply not felt the encouragement\motivation to start that process. I have felt bad about neglecting the server's needs and it has popped back in my head regularly that I should take responsibility and spend more time working on the server but it has been easier to postpone it in favor of doing things I have wanted to do right there and then.
Don't get me wrong, updating the server and doing all the problem-solving around it is very rewarding for me and gives me a lot of satisfaction - but the next update felt overwhelmingly cumbersome and I knew it would take a lot of hours and effort to make the server work in any sustainable way. I thought about finding a successor that could do the job that me\sheep have done in the past, but it is a very time\effort-demanding position with a level of responsibility which is hard to comprehend without having tried it. I know that we have some really smart people in the server which can probably do a much better job than me on the technical problem-solving part of the server, but the hard dilemmas and choices that needs a decision which comes up all the time is mostly the toughest part of the job. Then on the side of that there is the occasional feeling that the server needs advertisement, events and other activities to keep the wheels turning.

So that's my latest update on the update.. :)

Basically I have no plans right now other than that I want to try out sponge and see how it works and if it's something we can use. But my problem right now is that I work in average 50 hours every week + 10 hours driving to work, so that leaves me with very little spare time. I am required to work so much because of my position in the project I'm working on right now.

I am listening now though, got my notification turned on for this topic now so I should be able to see new replies between friday morning-sunday mornings from now on.

Thanks for reaching out here, it feels good to finally talk about what happened with the server - I'm sorry again for letting you down as the server owner\manager :<

spetznack has been thanked by:
spetznack
Forum Admin & Server Manager

Have thanks: 414 time
STEAM ID: ask if you need to add me
Players Title: Redstoner

Postby BlueDragon » 08 Jul 2017, 09:24

If you need I could bash out some code over the summer holidays to resolve any missing plugins.
BlueDragon
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 56 time

Postby Zkyo » 08 Jul 2017, 18:14

It's cool spetz, I think the same thing has happened to most of us too, been busy irl. Currently, I'm working on rebuilding the server from scratch on sponge. I've found several plugin alternatives that I hope will work well, but haven't tested yet. The server boots up with everything installed though, so that's a good start lol.

I'm having to make a few changes though, if we're going to use sponge. There aren't many plugins available, and I believe no bukkit/spigot plugins are compatible. Shop chests is a big one, as I can't find one that trades one item for another. We would have to add an economy plugin, though I found one that appears to run out of sight, the amount of gold in your inventory is what's in your account. Precious stones is not available at all, though I found a plugin similar to the city protection.

Something I just noticed though, spigot is still alive and well. I thought it died along with bukkit and craftbukkit, I will look into it tonight, plus I have tomorrow off and should have plenty of time. It would be awesome if our outdated plugins still worked. :D
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby spetznack » 09 Jul 2017, 01:13

If you have a suggestion for removing or changing any of our traditional Sheepserver features and gameplay decisions then this is a good time to chime in :)
The information (wall of text) under is mainly for Zkyo and whoever wants to help looking for a working server\plugin setup for us.

Zkyo: Looks like sponge is possible but like you said we'll have to change how some of what we do works. Spigot might be a good path to go, but we still have to replace many of the broken and half-broken plugins where the authors have abandoned the project
The best thing to do is to look at both API's and find out if any one of them has a big flaw that would bite us in the ass pretty hard.
For example, if sponge is really slow to get a stable release out then that might be a deal-breaker for us. I haven't really looked that hard at how sponge works though, I have no clue how to set up a Sponge server yet.

I create a folder for every update I do to the server, in the folder I put all the files to change and a text file that has the BEFORE UPDATE and AFTER UPDATE list of plugins and their respective versions. So this is the list from the last server update named: "2016-06-12 Update to 1.10"

We are currently running:
Spigot: (MC-1.9 2016-03-31 BuildTools 50)
- Our trusty Craftbukkit fork called Spigot, this is what binds it all together and enables us to configure the base game and add plugins.

EssentialsX: #352 (Fri Jun 10 09:44:26 EDT 2016)
EssentialsXSpawn: #352 (Fri Jun 10 09:44:26 EDT 2016)
- Admin\Moderator basic and advanced tools for moderating the server.
- Creating\Deleting\Using homes
- /spawn (though I think I used the MyCommand plugin to use the Multiverse /mvspawn or something for some reason I can't remember)
- /msg and /reply

PermissionsBukkit: PermissionsBukkit v2.5 for 1.8.1 Mar 02, 2016
- Used to handle permissions, assigning players to permissions groups according to rank and change permissions from ingame.

PreciousStones: #6 (Sun Mar 20 02:28:50 EDT 2016)
PreciousStones requires Vault!
- Protecting spawn city
- Allowing players to create their own protections for their homes or whatever they want to protect
- Also has fun additions like the skycannon
- Allows players to set up creature repellers which prevents hostile mobs from spawning in the set area around the block.
- Allows players to set up animal protections which prevents their animals from getting hurt from different stuff.
- Players can place snitches which will log all events in the set area around the block.

Vault: Vault 1.5.6 for 1.8.1 Aug 18, 2015
- Required to make PreciousStones work.

LWC: #941 (Thu Mar 03 00:36:44 UTC 2016)
- Players\staff can lock single blocks (doors, chests, hoppers, signs, etc..) and allow selected players to use the block.

Multiverse-Core: #719 (Sat Mar 12 22:51:31 GMT 2016)
- We use this to have more than the three survival worlds running at the same time --> Creative, Adventure and Games world is all running on the same server because of this.
- There are alternatives if we rent a dedicated box for running more than one server, but then binding them together using bungeechord if Spigot\Craftbukkit - I have never done this before though so I have no clue how this is done in practice.
- Having different worlds in our setup requires separating survival inventory from the other world's inventories, we use MultiInv for this.

Sheep: 0.1.5-SNAPSHOT
- Handles Warns
- Handles notes on players (used by staff)
- Handles bans
- Shows playertimes since the last reset

MultiInv: #72 (Wed Mar 02 03:26:19 UTC 2016)
MultiInv requires TuxTwoLib!
- This plugin separates the survival worlds inventories from the other worlds so that each different world group has different inventories per gamemode.

TuxTwoLib: v1.9-b6 for 1.9 Feb 29, 2016
- Required to make MultiInv work.

LogBlock: #274 (Sat May 07 22:29:09 EDT 2016)
- Records all actions and blockbreakings that's available for players and staff to see and are used to catch and undo actions of misbehaving people or in general help sort out misunderstandings and mistakes.

LogblockQuestioner: Unknown version
- When staff bans a player then the staff member gets a question through this plugin if the staff wants to roll back all blockchanges done by the player. I think this is broken because we use the sheep plugin anyway? :S maybe not, can't remember. I never use this anyway and I always roll back manually using my own parameters.

NoCheatPlus: #1005 (Sat Jun 11 10:44:47 EDT 2016)
- Prevents exploiting and the use of hacked clients.

WorldEdit: #3558-5a42a8d 2016-06-12
- Used in Adventure and games world to build stuff
- Used in survival world to roll back some tricky griefing that logblock doesn't handle well
- Used to occasionally clean up the Creative world

OpenInv: 2.3.9 for 1.9 Jun 09, 2016
- Staff use this to see other players inventories, useful for clearing up misunderstandings, finding stolen items and confiscating items from players if necessary..
- Can also open enderchests and offline player's inventories.

Minetrends: v2.0.1 for 1.9 Apr 29, 2016
- Used by managers to fetch statistics on the server activity, for example how many new players have joined the server the past month.
- This is a payed subscription service where you log into a website that generates graphs and other useful statistics..
- I think the plugin stopped working in the minecraft version we are running right now, so I stopped the subscription.

ArmorStandTools: 2.1.4 (12/06-2016)
- Mainly used to spiff up spawn or create fancy animations\3D-still photography, lightweight and simple to use though can cause a lot of frustration if not used correctly. For example invincible armorstands that's really annoying to remove... ^^

FancyShop: 0.5 for 1.8 Feb 02, 2015
- Used for spawn city shops

PastNames: PastNames 1.1
- Staff can look up previous names of players

Mob Egg Spawner Blocker: v1.1
- Because we have spawn eggs in our spawn shop for survival, we have to prevent players from being able to change their spawner to for example a horse spawner or mooshroom spawner, this plugin does that.

MyCommand: v5.2.2 for 1.9 Mar 29, 2016
- Allows me to make my own custom commands to mitigate broken plugins or even to make a simple alias to any command or commands.
- Also has a powerful interface option which uses your inventory to show options and you can press the item in your inventory to make selections or execute commands.. Useful stuff, lightweight plugin.

Full list without comments:
Spigot: (MC-1.9 2016-03-31 BuildTools 50)
EssentialsX: #335 (Wed Mar 30 16:26:28 EDT 2016)
EssentialsXSpawn: #335 (Wed Mar 30 16:26:28 EDT 2016)
PermissionsBukkit: PermissionsBukkit v2.5 for 1.8.1 Mar 02, 2016
PreciousStones: #6 (Sun Mar 20 02:28:50 EDT 2016)
PreciousStones requires Vault!
Vault: Vault 1.5.6 for 1.8.1 Aug 18, 2015
LWC: #941 (Thu Mar 03 00:36:44 UTC 2016)
Multiverse-Core: #719 (Sat Mar 12 22:51:31 GMT 2016)
Sheep: 0.1.5-SNAPSHOT
MultiInv: #72 (Wed Mar 02 03:26:19 UTC 2016)
MultiInv requires TuxTwoLib!
TuxTwoLib: v1.9-b6 for 1.9 Feb 29, 2016
LogBlock: #271 (Tue Mar 01 14:55:00 EST 2016)
LogblockQuestioner: Unknown
NoCheatPlus: #957 (Fri Mar 25 21:46:57 EDT 2016)
WorldEdit: #3463-219d2da 2016-03-24
OpenInv: 2.3.6 for 1.9 Mar 09, 2016
Minetrends: v2.0 for 1.9 Mar 22, 2016
ArmorStandTools: 2.1 (Sun Mar 27 2016)
FancyShop: 0.5 for 1.8 Feb 02, 2015
PastNames: PastNames 1.1
Mob Egg Spawner Blocker: v1.1
MyCommand: v5.2.2 for 1.9 Mar 29, 2016

We can prioritize our plugin needs like this:
1) Protecting spawn (PreciousStones\LWC)
2) Logging actions to find who did nasty things (LogBlock\Snitch block from PreciousStones)
3) Tools for admins\moderators to handle nasty people or doing other staff duties. (Essentials\Sheep plugin\OpenInv\PastNames)
4) Fixing damage done by people who did nasty things (LogBlock\World Edit)
5) Preventing hacking and cheating (NoCheatPlus)
6) Player-created protection for containers, levers, buttons, etc.. (LWC)
7) Player-created protection setup for areas\homes (PreciousStones)
8) Preventing unwanted killing of a player's farm animals (PreciousStones)

9) Because of spawn shop and animal eggs, we need something to prevent players from changing what creature spawners will spawn (Mob Egg Spawner Blocker)
10) Setting homes and using them (Essentials)
11) Private messages (Essentials)
12) Players can buy spawn plots in the spawn city (PreciousStones)
13) Giving players ability to get shop-chests in their spawn plots in spawn city (FancyShop)

13) Multiworld suite to run other worlds than the survival worlds + managing inventories for these worlds.

14) Statistics and giving managers a overview of the server activity (Minetrends)

spetznack

Postby KyussUnida » 09 Jul 2017, 23:51

Heya all,
just wanted to say thank you for your effort trying to update the server. I understand that it isn't an easy and fast thing. So take your time it needs and don't stress up with it. ;) We waited so long that some more weeks or not does'nt matter in my opinion.
Sadly I can't help with server stuff because I have not a hunch of minecraft datas, plugins, mods or anything. The only thing I know is how to use optifine haha.

Anyways it would be cool if the server gets somehow up to date in the future because I think that would make it a lot more attractive for new players to step in and try it out. I am myself not willing to play on any other server anymore because the sheep server and its community is the best I ever saw. I like the rules, the servers opportunities for players, the rights of players and the support of the staff if there are any problems or questions.

If you need help with testing something or so let me know.
Last edited by KyussUnida on 10 Jul 2017, 02:41, edited 2 times in total.
KyussUnida
Supporter
Supporter

Have thanks: 28 time
Highscores: 8

Postby Danyman V.2 » 10 Jul 2017, 01:17

I along with nutlad and LD have started playing on a survival server called "Build at night". if anyone wants to catch us on thats the server we play on.

it runs very similar; ranks for player time and achievements, has a spawn that is protected, has land claim, and a traditional economy system with shops etc., and is more or less the same as sheep.

maybe we can check some of the plugins they use, and see if it is compatible with some of the stuff we use. it could also serve as a good base for our new plugin system. if you want zkyo i can find out what plugins they use, do some research into them and find out if they are compatible, and try and shave some time off of finding plugins.

PS. Can i get my supporter rank back pls? i had to create a new account :P
Danyman V.2

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby AlphaNovember » 12 Jul 2017, 21:37

it really warms my heart to see some actual activity on the forums. ive been missing the community for quite some time now. given my current work schedule of 40+ ish hours a week [ and depending on if they need me to cover shifts or work overtime] im never going to be as active as i once was but i think thats safe to say for most of us as we all have busy lives [or so it seems lol] but ill certainly be back if we make some progress toward a new map!

@spetz im offering you my assistance when i can to help test server things when you need me! i work 10 to 11 hour shifts on average so we probably won't catch each other often but definately feel free to hit me up and hopefully i can be of use lol
Home is where the WiFi connects automatically

AlphaNovember has been thanked by:
AlphaNovember
Forum Mod, Server Admin & CTWP Leader
Forum Mod, Server Admin & CTWP Leader

Have thanks: 145 time
STEAM ID: AlphaDeltaNovember1

Postby Zkyo » 14 Jul 2017, 05:41

I have a small update on the server. I'm most likely going to ditch the sponge server for now, as spigot has been updated to 1.12. I have a base server set up with all of our plugins, and they appear to be working for the most part, but I haven't done much testing yet. Right now, the two holdups are shop chests and logblock. Logblock appears to work, however it requires a MySQL database, and I have no idea where to even start with that, I assumed it worked like another logging plugin I used, and stored the logs in the server's directory. I saw another mod that has a logging feature, Prism, but I have not looked into that yet.

As for shop chests, I am having issues finding a replacement plugin. FancyShops is completely broken, as are a couple other similar old plugins. The two possible replacements I found are Shop and Core-Shops. Core-shops does work, however is extremely limited. There is only one permission node (allow people to use a shop) so any person could create a shop wherever they want, selling appears to not work, text limits on signs mean you can't sell items with long IDs, and there is no confirmation message when buying so it is very easy to accidentally buy items. Shop looks like a MUCH better alternative and is still up to date, however i can't test it at the moment. It is a premium mod on SpigotMc, and I am completely broke at the moment lol, I can't afford the $7.50 for another week (woo, poverty!). I found a leaked version that is slightly older, but alas it is broken in 1.12 too. I've posted a couple threads on the spigot forums asking for advice on this, but I'll most likely pick up Shop next week.

In the mean time, I'm going to borrow my sister's minecraft account and start testing out the plugins that are currently working.

To spetz: Can i haz permissions files and sheep plugin plz? :D

Zkyo has been thanked by:
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Zkyo » 14 Jul 2017, 17:49

Someone on the spigot forums suggested a plugin I had no idea existed: Shopkeepers. IMO, it might be even better than shop chests, but I haven't tested anything yet. Basically, you can spawn a villager, or any other mob (invulnerable, immobile, and teleports back if moved) on top of a chest, then set up whatever kind of trade you want with the villager, and it will move items between the chest and your inventory.

Pros:
-Barter any item, not just gold
-Villager's inventory is linked to a chest, locked by LWC
-Can use mobs other than villagers
-Villager can be named
-Permissions galore, even limiting which mobs can be used by certain ranks
-Multiple trades per villager, i think
-Appears to be up to date with 1.12

Cons:
-To miminize lag, we should probably limit to one or two per plot.
-As a tradeoff, we can have multiple trades per villager. All items will be limited to one chest, though.
-Probably more, I haven't tested yet

https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/shopkeepers

Zkyo has been thanked by:
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby spetznack » 14 Jul 2017, 17:57

I'm back home now for the weekend and will be leaving again on Sunday.

Looks like LogBlock is doing alright, MD-5 have pushed a 1.12 update on Jenkins here: https://ci.md-5.net/job/LogBlock/
In general LogBlock is very stable and it's rare that a update breaks the plugin's function. Usually LogBlock is one of the last things I test because it requires a MySQL server, so when testing it I connect it to the SheepServer MySQL server - this means the test server will write logs parallel to the actual SheepServer. It is of course possible to use a different MySQL server for testing, but I haven't bothered doing that because the plugin is so stable :)

I'll contact you on steam regarding the rest Zkyo, we can set up something and try out that plugin if you like :)

spetznack

Postby Zkyo » 20 Jul 2017, 07:13

I haven't gotten much done on the server this week unfortunately, I didn't have as much time as I thought. Tonight though I just tested out a bunch of plugins, everything seems to be working so far, including sheep and shopkeepers. I think shopkeepers will be a great replacement for shop chests, I haven't found any way to abuse it yet. Mayors can set up the mobs and prices, then all players have to worry about is the stock. Each villager can trade up to 8 different items, and we can even use nuggets and ingots simultaneously. Next up is making sure the permissions are working for each rank.

I ran into a snag though: I banned myself testing warns with the sheep plugin, and I can't unban myself for the life of me lmao. /unban, /pardon, /sheep ban delete, removing the ban list, and even removing the sheep plugin aren't working. That thing did a damn good job of keeping me out of the server. I guess that's all I can do for now.

EDIT: I figured it out, unbanned myself. Woo, back to the server.
Zkyo
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Discussion